Here we have a combatant’s type War Commemorative Medal of the Kyffhäuser Union. War Commemorative Medal of the Kyffhäuser Union was instituted on June 18, 1921 by the Kyffhäuser Bund in conjunction with the 25th jubilee of the erection of the Kyffhäuser monument (Kyffhäuser-Denkmal) in Thuringia. In 1922 the combatants pin (two crossed broad swords attached to the ribbon) could be privately purchased by former frontline soldiers. It is constructed out of a die struck bronze base that wash bronze washed. The oval shaped obverse features a centrally placed tattered standarte flag (on a pole with tassels and a topper) blowing in the wind, in front of lightning bolts, beside “1914 ‐ 1918” and a laurel spring, and is underneath “Blank die Wehr, Rein die Her” (Shining Arms, Pure Honour) and it has “Hosaeüs” (Designer) to the bottom. The reverse reads “Aufrecht u stoß gehen wir aus dem Kampfe den wir über vier Jahre gegen eine Welt von Feinden bestanden, Hindenburg” (Upright and battered we came through four years of struggle withstanding a world of enemies, Hindenburg), with a small star above and below it, surrounded by “Für Treue im Weltkriege” (for Loyalty in the World War) and “Der Kyffhäuserbund” (that has a sprig of laurel to either side). To the top is an integral loop and ring which holds 6 inches of black, white and red rayon ribbon that has two downward pointing crossed broad swords on it. Many veterans preferred to wear the Swords upside down as their way to show mourning for the lost war. This piece also comes with ribbon that would have accompanied the piece in 1921 (pre-swords 1922). The award measures 1 ¾ inches tall by 1 ¼ inches wide. A beautiful piece!
We would recommend that you read our Policies page before making a purchase.