Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914. The Award was reauthorized by Emperor Wilhelm II on 5 August 1914 and was for award to personnel who performed a single act of bravery in combat. It is a multi-piece, die struck construction that has been soldered together. The single piece core is constructed out of an iron metal base that has been black enamel painted. The frame is constructed out of a nickel-silver base that has been silver washed. A final protectant lacquer was applied over the entire award. The obverse features; a pattée style cross that has a centrally placed embossed “W” (cypher for King Wilhelm II), below a Kings crown (top arm) and above “1914” (lower arm - institution date August 5th 1914), which is all on a black base and surrounded by a silvered ribbed/beaded row and a flat outlying border. The reverse shows a centrally placed three piece oak leaf and acorn cluster, below “FW” (cypher for King Friedrich Wilhelm III) and a Kings crown and is above “1813”, and is all surrounded by that same border. The award measures 1 11/16 inches wide and tall. To the top is a soldered on loop and a ring. The ring is stamped "WS", Walter Schott, Berlin. This is uncleaned and has approx. 3" of original ribbon.
We would recommend that you read our Policies page before making a purchase.